Skip to main content

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle - Review


❋ ❋ ❋  

The accident season has been a part of Cara's life as long as she can remember. Near the end of October her family becomes extremely accident-prone - many relatives have actually died during the accident season. No matter what they do to protect themselves, from switching off electrical items, locking away knives, to padding sharp edges, strange and horrific accidents and injuries follow wherever they go. As time passes, the accident season becomes more and more of an obsession and fear. Even if they don't want to believe in it, they can't deny that horrible things seem to follow them much more than anyone else during that time of the year. This accident season Cara, her family, and friends need to find out what's going on - are they cursed, and if so, is there any way for the curse to be broken?

I hadn't heard of The Accident Season until I came across it at the library. Based on the description on the dust jacket, I didn't expect the novel to take the turn it did. I was fully expecting a contemporary novel with a hint of mystery instead of a creepy mystery with a touch of the paranormal. Let me just say right now how much I love this unexpected turn - it has just about everything I could want. If you thought I was impressed by that aspect, I was really blown away by Fowley-Doyle's beautiful prose and flawed yet fully fleshed out characters.

I highly recommend Moïra Fowley-Doyle's eerily lyrical debut, The Accident Season. If you liked We were Liars by E.Lockhart and The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, you may also enjoy The Accident Season. I believe this will be one of my favorite reads of 2015!


I read this novel on September 10, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. Ohhhhh. I want to really read this now. I forget how it came to be on TBR list but now I will keep my eye out for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is one of the best books I have read this year- and it was such a surprise! I mean, it sounded interesting, but I had no idea it would be so amazing! Glad you enjoyed it too!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have put it better than you just did. :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't like this quite as much as you did Lauren (magical realism just isn't my cup of tea), but I completely agree that the writing was absolutely gorgeous and the setting was eerie and wonderful at the same time. Thanks for sharing this and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a pleasant surprise. Glad you liked it (even if magical realism isn't really your thing). :)

      Delete
  4. I've heard this is amazing (Cait from Paper Fury loves it) and I am SO into urban fantasy, so if and when I find it I MUST give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows