Skip to main content

Longbourn by Jo Baker - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I read an ARC of this title.

Longbourn is a reimagining of Pride and Prejudice from the perspective of the servants. There is just as much going on with the downstairs staff as there is with the ladies and gentlemen of the original story. When a mysterious new footman arrives, the orderly world of the staff, Sarah in particular, is irrevocably changed.

What I liked so much about this novel is that it takes elements that are untouched in the original novel, and manages to believably flesh them out. I particularly enjoyed getting those events filtered through the perspective of the staff to hear their thoughts on upstairs matters. That being said I was happy enough to just read of their daily routines because Jo Baker does such a good job bringing this story and her characters to life. She doesn't rely on trying to copy the sound of Austen, but she comes through with her own distinct voice.

If you are a fan of Pride and Prejudice and Downton Abbey, Longbourn by Jo Baker is not to be missed.


I  read this ARC from April 30 - May 1, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I love Pride and Prejudice. That's definitely an interesting concept for a novel. I need to check it out further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised by it because I tried Death Comes to Pemberley and I just couldn't get into that one. You really might want to look into Longbourn.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea, this sounds like it would be really good, especially if you're a fan of the original book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, but it's still pretty accessible even if you're not that familiar with the original.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didin't