Skip to main content

Schizo by Nic Sheff - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ 

The day Miles had his first schizophrenic episode was the same day his younger brother, Teddy, vanished. The police think Teddy must have drowned at the beach, while an eyewitness saw Teddy get in a Ford Explorer with a stranger. Miles knows in his heart that Teddy is still alive, and in his guilt and shame he vows to bring Teddy home once and for all. However, there is so much for him to overcome. The pills, the girl, and the crows. Miles fights to keep reality clear and in his sights, but the world keeps closing down around him.

I've always been interested in a good unreliable character and Miles definitely falls into this category. His perception of reality is quite distorted and it's difficult for him to sort through the blur of it all. I don't know all that much about the mental illness that he lives with, but his story is addicting and kept me hanging on to the very end. I had to know what happens with Miles and Teddy. Of course, I had kind of half figured things out, or had my suspicions, but that didn't detract from my reading experience in the least. I don't want to say to much more about the characters for fear of giving too much away, but Nic Sheff does a good job of giving the reader a bit of insight on this mental illness. For the most part Schizo is exactly as long as it needs to be, but I did find myself wanting more when it came to (view spoiler).

Overall, this ultimately hopeful novel about a teen dealing with mental illness is a must read for fans of It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.


I read this book from January 4 - 7, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows