Skip to main content

Starters (Starters #1) by Lissa Price - Review

Starters by Lissa Price



❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

I really enjoyed the premise for Starters.  I can already say I will definitely be back for the sequel!  It kept me turning the pages and was action-packed with a pretty interesting mystery.  The first section of the story went at a markedly slower pace than the breakneck speed at which the second half traveled.  I must say, it was one twist after another! 

One thing that turned me off, however and usually does, is the kinda-sorta love-triangle between Callie, Michael, and Tyler.  I think it could have been handled better than it was, or even left out and the story wouldn't have suffered from it.  I just didn't know enough about the boys to get attached to either one of them, and then there's the reveal which really puts a wall up between them.  Generally speaking, I could do without instalove or a kinda-sorta love-triangle.

I also wish there was more world-building in this installment.  We're pretty much flung right into this world leaving things a little vague going in.  I would definitely love to know more about the war and the rest of the world, the reason there aren't any middle-aged people (I thought there was supposed to be a vaccine?), and not to mention more about Michael and Blake.  

Regardless, if you're a fan of The Hunger Games (different stories, but I was able to draw quite a few parallels between Callie and Katniss) or the Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, you just may want to give Starters by Lissa Price a shot!  After that cliffhanger ending, I'm really looking forward to Enders.



This book was read from February 18 - 22, 2014 and this review is also on Goodreads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag