Skip to main content

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls #1) - Review

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)





❋ ❋ 

Actual rating 3.5

Cammie is a sophomore at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, which is basically a very elite spy school. She is a legacy student and expected to follow in her parents footsteps in the family business. She is also one of the best chameleons in the school - meaning that she can blend in almost anywhere and only be noticed if she wants to be noticed. So it comes as a surprise to her when on a mission in the nearby town when she is noticed by a boy, and a good looking one at that. Falling in love becomes her most dangerous mission yet as the boy can never know the truth about her or her school.

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is a light, funny, and fast read. One of the things I enjoyed was the spy related equipment and story references - some of which could have made very interesting standalone stories for sure. The characters were also all right and the main cast seems to complement each other well. Each girl has her own strength to add to the group dynamic. A turn off, however, is that they sometimes come off as a little whiny and even a little flat. The romance angle was for the most part relatively sweet and I liked how some of the dates became covert ops missions, but sometimes things got a little too silly for my tastes.



I'm also happy to see all of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer references peppered throughout the story!



My favorite: "If the communists and the capitalists could fight together to take down the Nazis, I told myself, if Spike could fight alongside Buffy to rid the world of demons, if lemon could join forces with lime to create something as delicious and refreshing as Sprite, then surely I could work alongside Macey McHenry for the cause of true love."

Finally, as for the debate if Jason Bourne could take James Bond, I'm not sure, but I can say Daniel Craig's James Bond could easily take down Pierce Brosnan's.





I read this on June 27, 2014 and my review is also available on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag